Tuesday, September 18, 2007

"The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

I have read this story before, freshmen year in highschool. It read the same but I had more to compare it to now. Whenever thinking of a mental institution I think of the room she is in, the wallpaper and the seclusion. The old treatments for depression will always amaze me. Instead of making anything better it would just add to the pain and make it worse. Adding more things for the person to go crazy about. Such as this character seemed to go slightly insane over the paper, imagining things that were not there.

I have always found that even if you are in a fine mental state, seclusion alone can make you crazy. Talking to people and doing things keeps you sane, keeps you from analyzing every little thing and thinking about every detail as the main character did in this story. At times I find myself going insane in the hotel just because there is nothing to do but sit in your room or the lobby and getting out is so impossible. I find we are all going a little insane. Crying and wishing we could leave for things other than class. It's making me physically sick. Just like the character in the story, I am noticing the small things about my room and the lobby. I hate it here.

No comments: