Tuesday, September 18, 2007

House on Mango Street

This book seemed very juvenile, well maybe just simple. Although I liked it, I seemed to get nothing out of it. The class discussion on Monday opened the book to a different light in my eyes. How the main character compares herself to her sister so much. Then in class we basically did the same thing in the writing. I think comparison is one of the worst things you could do to yourself. If it makes your esteem higher, it's putting some one else down, if it makes it lower, it's putting yourself down. Where is the good in this? Like Esperanza, I have always compared myself to my siblings. My sister and I have a silent comparison, with neither of us ever saying anything. However, my twin brother and I have always lived in this competition. Who is better in school? Who will live the better life? It really does not help anyone in the situation. If you are going to compare yourself to anyone, it should only be to yourself.

Throughout the book all I kept thinking about was how much this girl was experiencing at such a fast rate. How negative she was. How if she just appreciated the little she did have she would stop putting down where she lived. Although the place did not seem satisfactory or amazing. The people she met were interesting and she had a family that cared about her. I couldn't help but wonder, would she ever like where she lived? I would love to know where Esperanza was 10 years from then. How she ended up. If she was ever truly happy.

No comments: